Saturday 5 January 2013

Lost Voices - Christopher Koch

A triptych of a novel - set in 1950s Tasmania, then the same location 100 years earlier then back to the1950s. Koch writes so beautifully and the strongest section is in the middle when he talks about the light and the beautiful country side. The story is fantastic too - the characters are so lifelike and compelling.
Hugh Dixon is the main character and we follow him from school to his career working for a newspaper, but nursing an ambition and keen talent as an artist. In the middle, we go back in time to his ancestors. It's one of those "parallel lives" experiences but not as contrived as they sometimes are.
Koch wrote "The Year of Living Dangerously" and I can see this novel becoming a film.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds a great read Katrina. I will look at that one.
    I've forgottem how to do this blogging thing so hopefully this works- commenting on another comment.
    Over the holidays I re-read Paul Auster's "Brooklyn Follies". I love his work. He is a contemporary US writer (married to Suri Hustvedt- "What I Loved")and I found myself annoyed with the characters at times but still loving them. They are very normal. I can't remember if I told you about Auster's auto biography, "Winter Journal". It is not like a normal auto bio but it is such fun. I might suggest you read some fiction of his before you read that.
    I'm now reading "The 100 Year old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" that Mal gave me. It is funny, exciting, ridiculous and educational.If you read this you will never think disparagingly about old people again. It's one of those books where you barrack for the bad guys because they have spunk and just happen to have all the luck. You wonder how they are ever going to get out of this sticky situation. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete